Mayor Marvin's Column: FAQ's About Bronxville

This is the weekly column from Bronxville Mayor Mary C. Marvin for the week of Oct. 22, 2012.


The following was written by Bronxville Mayor Mary C. Marvin. To view previous articles by Mayor Marvin, click here.

We receive many calls at Village Hall and track the concerns or issues of our residents.  When the same issues seem to reoccur, we realize we are not doing our best at communicating to our constituents.

The following are subjects of inquiry that deserve clarification/dissemination.

  • Our senior citizens who have received yearly STAR exemptions should have received a letter from the Village with instructions as to how to continue this tax exemption.  If you have not, please call Village Hall expeditiously.  Also, if you are new to Bronxville and qualify for the Enhanced STAR  school tax exemption (you must be 65 years old with a family income of $79,500 or less), call us for an application.
  • Most home improvement projects require a building permit from the Village.  The terms of a Village permit allow work to be done from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays only.  If the project is one for which a permit is not required, for example painting, work can be done on weekends.  However, even work acceptable to do on weekends must respect the Village’s noise ordinance and not create an undue disturbance.  Villagers can call the police department with any noise concerns.

If you anticipate doing any work on your home, start by calling the Building Department at 914-337-7338. 

Follow Bronxville-Eastchester Patch on Facebook and Twitter today.

The staff can guide you as to whether permits or variances are required.  Undertaking work without permits results in a doubling of fees, both on the cost of the permit itself and the estimate of the value of the project. 

Many residents are running into this problem when they go to place their home on the market and find projects have no valid Certificate of Occupancy so the home cannot be transferred. Even seemingly small projects such as electrical or plumbing work need permits. The overriding concern is safety both for one’s own home and nearby neighbors.

After a permit request is filed, work cannot commence until the permit request is reviewed and signed off by the Building Department.

All fences (even replacements), sheds and emergency generators require a permit regardless of the height or size.

  • Since New York State no longer subsidizes the cost of dog licensing, dog owners in Tuckahoe and Bronxville will now need to get all licenses through the Town of Eastchester.  Eastchester Town Hall is located at 40 Mill Road and is open daily from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • If you need additional new recycling bins, they can be purchased by mailing in a check or cash or stopping by Village Hall with the $10 fee.  We do not keep a large quantity of bins on hand at Village Hall so we deliver to your home after purchase.
  • On Saturday, Oct. 27, the Village’s Green Committee is sponsoring a “Take Back” Day from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. and residents can recycle electronic waste (anything with a plug), scrap metal, up to two cartons of paper for on-site shredding, and linens, sheets and towels which will be donated to a local animal shelter.  The service is drive-through by entering the back of Village Hall (Palumbo Place) via Pondfield Road.

At 11 a.m. on the same day, there will be a demonstration of mulching leaves in place on the Village Hall lawn.

Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »