After the storm
Hurricane Sandy has claimed four lives in the Lower Hudson Valley.
A tree crashed through a home in Pearl River at about 6 p.m. Monday, killing a 51-year-old man and placing his family in the hospital.
In North Salem, a tree came down Monday evening, killing two middle school-aged boys.
A motorist on the Sprain Brook Parkway in Greenburgh died due to storm conditions Monday evening, as well, according to state police.
The storm—an amalgam of several foul weather patterns—brought its worst rains and winds through the region between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. Monday.
The National Hurricane Center was no longer labeling Sandy a hurricane as of 7 p.m. Monday, as it teetered on the edge of the northeast coastline—but the squall still held amazing power.
Nearly all municipalities in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam declared states of emergency, with evacuations in effect in Port Chester, Piermont, Yonkers and other villages and cities. Hundreds of thousands throughout the three counties will be without electricity for up to a week, power companies have said.
Roads Tuesday afternoon were populated by emergency vehicles, branches and debris; the Tappan Zee Bridge closed for several hours due to whipping winds.
For the latest on everything Sandy, stay with Patch.
Road closures and power outages
- Roadways in Bronxville-Eastchester Shut Down after Sandy
- All major bridges in and around Manhattan are now open as of Tuesday at 12 p.m. with the exception of the Holland and Brooklyn Battery Tunnel an Outerbridge Crossings
Cancellations and rain dates
- Bronxville Chamber has Cancelled the Halloween Festival
- The Chapel School in Bronxville will be closed on Friday Nov. 2
- Concordia College has cancelled all classes and events for Friday Nov. 2
- Sarah Lawrence has cancelled all classes and events through Friday Nov. 2
- Lincoln Academy in Eastchester will be closed on Friday Nov. 2
- Asbury Nursery School in Tuckahoe closed on Friday Nov. 2
- Eastchester Schools will be closed on Thursday and Friday Nov. 1-2
- Yonkers Public Schools will be closed on Thursday Nov. 1.
- Bronxville Montessori School will be closed on Thursday Nov. 1.
- Bronxville Schools will be closed on Thursday Nov. 1.
- Tuckahoe Schools will be closed on Thursday and Friday Nov. 1-2.
- Click here for Patch's full list of School Closings in the Hudson Valley
- Bronxville School Board Cancels Monday's Workshop
- Food and Wine Event Cancelled in Bronxville
- Halloween Festival in Bronxville Cancelled for Sunday
Patch's full coverage
- Bronxville School to Open Their Doors to Residents
- Hurricane Sandy Causing Gas Shortages Around the Tri-State
- Con Ed. Westchester Restoration: Estimated Nov. 10-11
- Mayor Marvin Updates Residents Regarding Con Ed.
- Colavita: "Report Your Storm Damage to FEMA"
- Hurricane Sandy Causes Gas Shortages Around the Tri-State
- Con Ed.: Restoration Underway in Bronxville-Eastchester
- No Trick or Treating at Night in Eastchester
- Things Slowly Returning to Normal in Tuckahoe
- No Trick or Treating in Bronxville
- Bronxville School Reports Minimal Damage Due to Sandy
- Bronxville Police: Refrain from Walking or Driving in the Village
- Mayor Ecklond: Tuckahoe Weathering the Storm So Far
- Hundreds Without Power Already in Bronxville-Eastchester
- Sandy Creates a Ghost Town in Bronxville
- [UPDATED] Red Cross Opens Five Emergency Shelters in Westchester
- Attorney General Warns Against Price Gouging
- Bronxville Police: "Bronxville is Under a State of Emergency"
- All Residents must remove all leaf piles from catch basins and streets
- Bronxville Issues Vital Info Regarding ConEd.; Possible Outages
- Tuckahoe Updates Residents on Storm Preparations
- Bronxville Issues Storm Alert to Residents
- Mayor Ecklond: "Tuckahoe is Ready for the Storm"
- Residents Prepare for Sandy's Onslaught [PHOTOS]
- How You Can Prep For Hurricane Sandy [VIDEO]
- Cuomo Declares State of Emergency for New York
- NYS Thruway Preps for Hurricane Sandy
- Astorino Urges Residents to Prepare for Storm
- Video: MTA Prepping for Storm
- Storm Preparation: Do You Have A Checklist?
Do you know of an event cancellation? Please add it to the comment section attached to this article and update the event in our free Patch calendar to notify the community.