1. The Process of Book Publishing: The Writing Institute at Sarah Lawrence College presents an Author and Agent Community Event with award-winning journalist and author Dr. Joan Steinau Lester and renowned literary agent Cynthia Manson. Dr. Lester will read excerpts from her recent novel, “Mama’s Child,” and Ms. Manson will discuss the process of getting a book published and ask Dr. Lester about her experience. A Q&A session will follow the presentation. Free, 3 p.m. Sarah Lawrence College, the Slonim Living Room, 915 Kimball Ave., Bronxville.
2. How Volunteering Can Help Build a Resume and Assist in a Job Search: The discussion, presented by Brenda Wilkin, Community Outreach Coordinator for the Volunteer Center of the United Way, will cover how to find volunteer opportunities, and how volunteering can help you stay connected to the community and workforce. For more information and to register, call Carol at 914-721-8208 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Free, 6:30 p.m. Greenburgh Public Library, 300 Tarrytown Road, Elmsford.
3. We'll have cold weather for the first time this fall: highs around 50 and lows in the 30s.
4. Chappaqua resident Bill Clinton's visit to Nyack for a fundraiser has picked up interesting comments about local politics.
5. Is your school blogging on Patch? Check out this elementary-school class newspaper.